Sunday, March 25, 2007

Pain is not real


Intellectually, I am aware that pain is not real. The body is a manifestation of God's perfection, and God cannot create pain. Nevertheless, as long as we believe in pain, it exists for us, and we will be burdened with its apparent reality.

I mention this because my physical age and condition are such that aches and pains appear to be real with increasing frequency. However, I made an interesting observation today.

I woke up feeling soreness in my lower back. I pampered it as I started my morning, holding myself stiffly so that I would not move the affected muscles more than necessary. Then I got more involved in my daily activity, specifically washing dishes and making breakfast. I noticed that when I focused on one of those activities, I did not notice the ache in my back. Once a task was finished, my attention would return to the pain and I would feel it again.

The thought came to me that
pain is only a bodily sensation. One realization that followed this observation was that I did not identify my self with my body. The pain affected my body, but it did not affect me.

The second realization I had was that, since the pain is not part of
me, there is no need for me to be concerned with it. If I focus my attention elsewhere, I should not notice the pain, and if I do not notice it, the pain does not exist. Pain is not something that is real independent of the body which experiences it. To the extent I can -- as I have been trying to do anyway -- concentrate on the Christ spirit within me rather than on its physical manifestation in the body, I should be unaffected by pain.

I hope that this will help me understand Joel Goldsmith's teachings better.

Namaste.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, sorry dude; intellectually that's true. And using NLP there's a certain amount of it that you can control.

Try detoxing from Pain Meds (which is painful, in and of itsself) and then dealing with the pain the Medication was masking.

Sounds good, for age aches and pains. Pain is real or you'd never make it to the age of 5. Pain is what keeps you alive on a daily basis & helps you to learn from mistakes.

The Christmas Promise

An early post in this blog was  A Hymn For The Season .  I reproduce the post here, and dedicate it to all who are facing life's challen...