Thursday, July 16, 2009

Complementing Meditation with Mindfulness

In the realm of spirituality, Truth is evident to the self-realized individual. For the rest of us, however, the quest for Truth sometimes seems to be a multiple-choice test in which every question has several equally appealing answers. Of course each of us wants to encourage within ourselves thoughts and actions that will guide our footsteps along the way of Truth. But how are we to know which of the infinitely branching paths before us will take us in that direction?

As I blogged yesterday, meditation is one tool we can employ to help us make choices that are consistent with our highest aspirations. However, we can't always take time out to meditate over every decision that life presents us with. Fortunately, we can complement our meditation practice with other practices that are equally conducive to "right action".

The main complement to meditation is mindfulness. Mindfulness is awareness; awareness of one's surroundings, including one's physical body, of the thoughts and actions of others, and of the workings of the mind. Whereas meditation often requires us to isolate ourselves from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, mindfulness flourishes in that environment. Meditation requires stilling the mind and turning within to the Source of all wisdom. Mindfulness, on the other hand, allows us to draw on the store of wisdom accumulated through our meditation practice and put it to work in the active part of our lives. Beyond that, mindfulness permits us to look to other equally valid Sources outside our individual beings. Where meditation involves single-pointed focus on Spirit, mindfulness requires us to perceive Spirit in every object and occurrence within the range of our perception.

I recognize that I -- the essential I -- am an individual manifestation of Spirit, or of Universal Mind, and as such I have access to unlimited Truth at all times and in all places. Yet not all of that Truth is to be found within. Each other person and thing that I encounter in this energetic Universe is a unique manifestation of Spirit equal to myself. We all have the same Source and ultimately, we are the same energy and the same Truth. Yet each of us illustrates Truth in a way that is different and special. If I pay attention only to the wellspring of Spirit at the center of my own being, I will miss the opportunity to access a more complete experience by bathing in the emanations of Spirit that are occurring all around me.

In meditation, I open myself to the direct experience of Spirit at a soul level. By mindfulness, I open myself to experience Spirit through its myriad manifestations in the Universe that surrounds me. Like Arjuna beholding Krishna in his God-form, through mindfulness I stand in awe at the infinitely detailed manifestation of Spirit. This also constitutes focus, but of an entirely different sort - the focus on Oneness as expressed in the manifold phenomena of existence.

Right action implies interaction with the physical Universe and with other individuals. In order for those interactions to contribute to the positive evolution of Spirit in this Universe, I must be aware of many things. I must see my surroundings clearly, free of the haze of ego and the distoring lenses of memory and anticipation; in other words, I must perceive only the present moment. I must accurately assess the thoughts and needs of others as manifested in their own actions. Most importantly, I must keep firmly in mind the principles and guidance I have received in meditation and from the great teachers. I must endeavor to maintain access at all times to that channel of wisdom first opened in meditation, so that when my own powers of observation, reasoning and compassion fail me, I may turn to Spirit to guide me in a positive direction.

Mindfulness, then, extends the awareness of Oneness with All That Is developed through meditation into the sphere of daily life. It is the only practice by which we can keep Spirit always in view while coping with the requirements of secular living. It can be considered meditation by action - the expression in thought and deed of the awareness developed through communion with the Divine.

No comments:

The Christmas Promise

An early post in this blog was  A Hymn For The Season .  I reproduce the post here, and dedicate it to all who are facing life's challen...