Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Body

What is this body that I inhabit? Until very recently, I would simply have answered, "This is me." Study and meditation have let me to an understanding that this body and I are very different things, even though we are bound together for a time. Spirit has chosen this body as its physical manifestation of that part of itself that is my consciousness. Still, I did not begin to understand these concepts at an intuitive level until I was able to perceive my body as a part of the physical Universe. I believe that, for my entire life up to that moment, I thought of my body and the Universe as qualitatively distinct concepts. Here I am, and there that is, and we interact, but we are separate and, therefore, independent of each other on some fundamental level.

Of course, it is absurd to believe that the body is not a part of the physical Universe. Clearly it is subject to the laws of physics and chemistry like all other material things. I never had trouble understanding the application of physical laws to other humans, animals, and plants; yet somehow my ego managed to cling emotionally to the notion that this body is "special" and "me".

Identification with the body no doubt has many consequences. I may believe that I can bring fulfillment to myself by gratifying the body. Conversely, if I have feelings of dislike toward myself, I may seek to punish the body. Most importantly, I may identify with the ego, that mental construct that is attached to the body yet uniquely capable of self-dislike.

Because my body is part of Nature, I owe it the same respect and love that I feel for the rest of the Universe. God is in Nature, and It is in me.

Meditation is not meant to connect my individuality with God, but to re-unite Spirit with itself by stilling the noise of thought and allowing the fundamental unity to emerge.

No comments:

The Christmas Promise

An early post in this blog was  A Hymn For The Season .  I reproduce the post here, and dedicate it to all who are facing life's challen...