Saturday, January 27, 2007

A Meditation For Rough Seas

I am a creature of energy. This ship is made of steel and its energy is tightly bound in material form. It has no choice but to resist the waves and fight its way through as best it can. As a result, the passive energy of the ship's hull and the active energy of its engines clash with the energy of the ocean, creating and magnifying disturbing forces.

As pure energy, however, I have the ability to merge synergistically and enthusiastically with the energy of the sea. In meditation, I seek to release all resistance to that energy and to abandon attachment to my rigid material form. I attune myself to the movement of the waves and flow with them, following the course that Spirit has chosen for me, rather than try to fight through on a course of my own choosing.

Like a dolphin riding a powerful ocean current, I add my own energy flow to that of the spiritual sea in which I am immersed. I visualize myself as an aquatic being in harmony with the living energy of the ocean, or sometimes as an aerial creature, soaring and diving in the currents of the atmosphere. When the waves rise, I allow myself to be borne upward, sensing the moment when the wave will carry me to its crest, the resting point where the potential energy is the greatest. Poised at the peak of the wave, I sense the direction of the next trough, and allow myself to begin to slide in that direction. Making the energy of the wave my own, I release the stored potential and accelerate downward, feeling the exhilarating rush of the ocean's power as it propels me smoothly forward, twisting and turning through the lesser transitory currents and eddies that are contained even in this powerful mountain of water.

As the speed of our descent diminishes, I feel the ocean gathering strength again to bear me skyward on another magnificent swell. Propelled and guided by enormous forces, I am yet powerful and free, for I am one with the Spirit that informs everything in the Universe, manifesting as wave and ocean, wind and sky, animate and inanimate, and all beings including myself. The forces of Nature are my forces, and I am theirs; knowing this allows me to exist in harmony with them. I am secure in the awareness that Spirit holds only love and that love is accessible to me at every time and in every place.

And so it is.

No comments:

The Christmas Promise

An early post in this blog was  A Hymn For The Season .  I reproduce the post here, and dedicate it to all who are facing life's challen...